The Connect Network

by Dessert Professional | The Magazine Online

Hi Everyone,

We are having an event where I'll need to make coconut flan for 300 guests.  Does anyone have a LARGE scale recipe?  We are thinking of baking in a disposable steam pans instead of individual molds.  My exec chef has calculated that we need 6-8. Has anyone ever tried this? 

Views: 142

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bake them in individual disposable molds, they come in 2 oz and 4 oz sizes that I am aware of. As far as large scale, just figure out the yield for the batch you are using, divide it into 300, then multiply that number by your batch.  If your batch yields 30, multiply everything by 10 to get 300. 

Thanks John.   I calculated out the number of servings and baked in full size shallow disposable steam pans placed inside hotel pans with about an inch of water.  They baked perfectly and I was able to cut and serve with no problem.

I am very glad it all worked out for you Mary.  I would have been skeptical about baking this in a full sized pan rather than individual servings.  If one little thing went wrong then the whole pan would have had to be tossed.  Good job!!

That's exactly what I was thinking when I started reading this, Shelia! I wonder if a test run was done to ensure it would come out just right. I don't think I would have been gutsy enough to take a chance the day of the event without doing a trial.

Sheila and AllyKat

I didn't do it as a trial but I did bake them the day before the event so that the custard had plenty of time to cool and set up.

Since that worked out......... 

We do a lot of desserts with cheesecake fillings and we starting baking them the same way.  12x18x2 pans set in a full sheet pan with water.   Works great and cuts down on the number of cheesecakes that need to be baked.

I did something similar in the past, but I opted for individual molds because I was not so sure it would turn out right if it had been done in full size. It was great though, and our client was extremely happy.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

A social network where dessert professionals & others connect & share tips, techniques, recipes, & photos for all things dessert.

Sponsored Content

Latest Activity

Advertise with Us

We offer several advertising solutions across our network of sites, our print publication, and events.

Read about our Digital Advertising Solutions and request our Rate Card >>

Download the DessertProfessional.com Digital Mediakit.

Events

© 2017   The Connect Network by DessertProfessional.com   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Warning: require_once(xn-app://widgetlaboratory/apps/windex.php): failed to open stream: "XN_AppFilesystemStream::stream_open" call failed in /apps/dessertprofessional/index.php on line 5 Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required 'xn-app://widgetlaboratory/apps/windex.php' (include_path='.:/php/includes/XN:/php/includes/PEAR:/php/includes/other') in /apps/dessertprofessional/index.php on line 5